Book Review : ” Who moved my Cheese” – by Spencer Johnson
There was a book lying on my shelf from a long time now and that was “Who moved my Cheese” by Spencer Johnson. I always heard that it’s a great book. Today, I got up in the morning and held this book in my hand to complete it. It took me only 2 hrs to complete this 100pages book and I must confess that it’s a very good book. It’s a small story that will make you think about your present situation.
This is the story of 2 mice – Sniff & Scurry and 2 persons – Hem& Haw, who are as tiny as mice and their search for cheese to survive in their world that is a maze. The mice were the guys who adapted themselves always to the changes around them and survived happily whereas the 2 persons weren’t so adaptable to the changes happening around them and faced difficulties. The story tells you what you are going to gain when you adapt yourself to the situations around you rather than to suffer at one place. The cheese in this story can be related to many things in your life like work, money, family, knowledge etc…
I am listing down a list of phrases taken directly from the book that are really thought provocative.
- Having Cheese makes you happy – Being knowledgeable and intelligent makes us happy
- The more important your cheese is to you the more you want to hold on to it – When you think that you have a lot of knowledge on one subject you tend to hold onto it a lot more and don’t share with anyone.
- If you don’t change, you can become extinct – If you don’t upgrade your knowledge you will become outdated
- Smell the cheese often so you know when it is getting old – Check continuously whether you are upgrading your knowledge level on a regular basis before it gets outdated.
- Movement in a new direction helps you find new cheese – Exploring and learning new things will make you move to more distant places in your work life.
- When you move beyond your fear, you feel free – When you break the barrier that stops you from learning you feel happy.
- Imagining myself enjoying new cheese even before I find it, leads me to it – The thought of being more knowledgeable, than the others around you, after you learn more helps you to drive yourself in the direction of excellence.
- The quicker you let go of old cheese, the sooner you find new cheese – The sooner you realize that your knowledge or your job is outdated the better it is.
- It is safer to search in the maze than remain in a cheese less situation – It’s better to search for more information and more knowledge if you want to grow rather than cribbing at one place continuously and expecting promotions in your job.
- Old beliefs do not lead you to new cheese – Doing same things again and again gives you same results but when you want to achieve greater results you need to do different things or do things differently.
- When you can find and enjoy new cheese, you can change course
- 12. Noticing small changes early helps you adapt to bigger changes that to come
- 13. Move with the cheese and enjoy it – Change along with time and you will enjoy life
There are few more things that are inevitable and we must accept it as it is to grow, to learn and be happy:
Change Happens – they keep moving the cheese
Anticipate change – get ready for the cheese to move
Monitor change – Smell the cheese often so you know when it is getting old
Adapt to change quickly – The quicker you let go of old cheese, the sooner you can enjoy new cheese.
Change- Move with the cheese
Enjoy change! – savor the adventure and enjoy the taste of new cheese
Be ready to change quickly and enjoy it again – they keep moving the cheese
There is a lot more story in the book that will make you think about what you are doing now and whether it is the time to change or not.
Read the book and enjoy it! It’s worth a read.